Friday, April 07, 2006

Smaller and Smaller Circles

This short story-- No, its more like a novelette for me... lol! Now going back to the story, this is more like a crime fiction kind of story. It started when father Emil discovered a body of a boy. Actually, the kids informed father Emil. At first, I was not really that interested in this kind of story because honestly, I have really no interest in this kind of mystery story because my patience is really not that long when it comes to mysteries and other related stuff but I had no choice but to read then upon reading it, my interest in the story begins to build up because the mysteries in the story is starting to make me ask many questions and craving for answers in the story.

So anyways, going back to the discussion of the story, the story was held somewhere in a dumpsite in Manila, let’s say Payatas to be exact, while the time can be said as most recent because of the logic in detective stuff like CSI. I think this CSI or the logic thinking developed in the early 90’s. The story was about serial killings that were happening in Payatas. There were 8 victims in the story, which were children. The faces of the victims, the heart, and the genitals of the victims were taken out by the serial killer. We now know that it was father emil who first discovered the body of that small boy.

Then he asked for the help of two other priests who is: Father Jerome who is a Psychologist, it can be said that he investigates on maybe why the killer have done the crime like what motivated him/her and the other priest Father Saenz who performs autopsies. While the story moved on, they became closer and closer in finding out who the serial killer is, and at the end they found out who when they saw the hearts and genitals of the children in the refrigerator of the dentist named Alex Carlos.

There were signs and symbols present in the story. At first, when our teacher assigned this story to me: “smaller and smaller circles”, I had a picture in my mind like getting and getting there. It means that as you progress, the mystery gets smaller and smaller, that is what the circle symbolizes for me. Well, on the content of the story, I feel a little disappointed because the story is like a little predictable when it comes to the review of the usual crime fictions story that my classmates and my teacher tells us but the author is good when he made me puzzled that I read the story to satisfy my curiosity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home