Thursday, March 02, 2006

TALE OF THE SPINSTER AND THE PETER PAN

At first, when I read the story “TALE OF THE SPINSTER AND THE PETER PAN”, I was a bit confused because what would a spinster be doing with a peter pan character? At first also, I didn’t know what a spinster means so I consulted a dictionary then I knew that spinster mean the female counterpart of a bachelor. When I read and learned the life of the woman there, I was somehow, sorry for her life because it’s as if she was pushed through with her life, she’s like doing things which she is really not that happy about. It was mentioned there in her job, but then she decided to retire because she is already in her late forties. For me, its like her life is still colorless even after she retired in her job because she has this routine that she does over and over again. This includes going to this bar on Thursday’s during her vacant time and listening to soft music like “Smoke Gets in Your eyes” etc...

After only a few weeks, she was somehow startled because the usual music was now replaced by loud music that performs in the stage. At first, she was not into these kinds of music that she got and paid her bill and left the restaurant. Meanwhile, as she was more exposed every Thursdays into these kinds of music, she was starting to like it. Then she began to go every Thursday to listen and even have some favorites among their songs and she even admires one member of this band and finds him somewhat attractive. Every Thursday passed and she was there in that restaurant and even daydreams about that guy, that she even daydreams that she was with this guy, accompanying her, that serving her tea, no—coffee, she was happy that she still has that coffee. Now, for me, that was like an illusion and was a little funny for me because, when I imagine her imagining that imagination, she would somehow look “tulala” and I remember a former classmate of mine because he is “tulala” all the time and for me, he really looks silly..

Okay, going back to the short story, the woman was startled or a little surprised when that particular guy with whom she had an admiration on came up to her and confronted her as in talked to her like he said at first “hello” then he began to talk like “well, here I am” which in my point of view is very ‘mayabang’ to me because when he said that, its as if he was saying: “Baby, I know you like me so here I am and yours for the taking!”. It’s as if he was like too good! I can imagine the disappointment that woman felt when she heard that, she was really disappointed because all the admiration she had for that guy for the many Thursdays that had passed was suddenly gone for that particular Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home