Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Two Filipino Stories

First of all, I think that this story by carlos bulosan's which is entitled "My Father Goes to Court" is pretty much plain and simple. Its composition and choice of words can be comprehensible by almost anyone that's why I would say I'm thankful that it's really not that hard. His story by the way shows about filipino people, their culture, traits.. Example in the story is that the filipinos there can laugh about their problems, the father in the story their is faced in the trial in the court but still can show a sense of humour. For me, I think that's good because when you have a problem, the tendency is for you to get depressed and feel really upset but if you just feel good about yourself like laugh or do something comfortable, the tendency is for you to be able to think of a solution to your current problem or problems. Our current proffessor also tells us of this filipino trait that we can laugh at our problems and that among the other nationalities like americans, japanese, germans; we alone can do that of possessing that sense of humor. For me, I think that carlos bulosan did a good job in describing and telling a story in his short story.


Moving on, there is also a second story which is entitled "How my Brother Leon brought home a wife" by Manuel Arguilla. I think this story is a good one and can be said also a Filipino. Now this story also can be said as describing filipino cultures like traditions and filipino women. This story takes place in a bukid whre people would usually ride in carabaos and stuffs like that but that was a long time ago and today only a few people can be seen in an area like that. In this story, this woman who will be Leon's wife was given a description physically and also her attitude as a "mahinhin" and conservative which would probably describe filipinas a long time ago. I would agree with that because from what I am seeing right now, that is true and it would be rare to see conservative women that was described in the story. Overall, For me, amobng the two stories, I would prefer "My Father Goes to Court because it is quite funny and would probably describe my character. That would be all, thank you for reading my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home